34 °C coupled with 100% humidity hits you like an unforgiving stone wall when walking off the plane in Hanoi. Immediately AC becomes one of your top priorities, second only to the desire for the custom's officers to over look the fact that your visa doesn't start for another 2 days. Thank you kind customs officer for not making me live in the Hanoi airport for 2 days. It was touch and go there for a while, I started seeing a combination of Tom Hanks' roles in 'The Terminal' and 'The Cast Away' being in my near future.
In Canada waiting outside custom the doors are loved ones, in Hanoi its taxi drivers sporting their children (probably for a competitive edge) and long finger nails (symbol of non-physical labour employment status). Although I'm almost certain we paid more than we should have for the ride (roughly $15 USD for 50-60min drive), they got us to our bizarre looking hostel so all's well that ends well. “What's so bizarre about the building?” you ask, its 9ft wide and 4.5 stories tall. But with AC and wifi, the questionable cosmetics are total forgettable. Being in the highest possible room is a double edged sword, on the one hand you have a breath taking view, on the other hand you're breathless from lugging your luggage up roughly 110 steps.
The market, at long last! Kiosks far as the eye can see. Overflowing with brand imitations, incredible hand made crafts, pho (Vietnamese noodles) and most importantly FRESH TROPICAL FRUIT! Not Canadian “fresh” tropical fruit, Vietnamese fresh meaning picked within the last 24 hrs, yum.... so good!
PS Asian airlines destroy American/European airlines! Congrats Air Canada you've been out done by a developing nation
Hahahahaha!!! I told you !!!!!!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the markets, eat a giant fresh pineapple for me!!! AND do me proud with bargaining!!!
oh .... any squatters???
oh Amanda! you're going to rock your adventure!! the fruit sounds awesome! and yes, asian airlines put us to absolutely shame...enjoy, enjoy! xo keep being safe and cool place!!! what's your view like??
ReplyDelete2/3 isn't bad, I bargained for some fresh pineapple today. I'm not sure what made it taste better the freshness or the price... close call really. I'm afraid I haven't used a squatter yet though, I've seen them but didn't need them at the time. I'll work on that for you though.
ReplyDeleteMy view isn't "pretty" per se. Its just a view of classic Vietnam. I'll be sure to get some pictures of it up before my time in the hostel is thru.
ReplyDeleteHey Amanda,
ReplyDeleteThis is Andrew Walker, the weather sounds intense, but I hope you are at least shopping to spoil yourself with a nice Guccci purse ;)