Monday, May 24, 2010

Essentials for Vientam

Lonely Planet, adapter, passport, visa, camera... yep pretty much everything I need for a summer in Vietnam. 2 Days until I sing farewell to Nova Scotia, my beautiful sea-bound coast!

"Why will I be in Vietnam?", you ask. I'm working on a collaborative project between NEU (Vietnamese university), SMU and the local chamber of commerce in Hanoi, Vietnam. The project involves Vietnam's economic reform policy implemented in 1986 called "doi moi" (Vietnamese for "renovation"). In 1986 that's exactly what the communist government did, renovated their entire economic system. Doi moi transformed Vietnam's centrally planned economy (everything owned by the state) to a socialist-oriented market economy (free market with a socialist twist); since this time GDP growth has averaged roughly 7% per year! Pretty incredible.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a way cool project to be working on. Congrats on this opportunity. Have fun and stay safe. You should tattoo the phone number of the Canadian Embassy on your leg, in case you get throw into jail for some reason like in Bridget Jones's Diary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People don't usually post their passport number online. ;-)

    I'm pumped for you. This'll be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SOOOOO excited to follow your adventures Amanda and am SOOOOO proud of you!! You go girl!! You're going to have an amazing experience!!! I'll read and comment regularly and send my love and support with each comment!! xo daisy

    ReplyDelete