Sunday, May 30, 2010

Arbitrary adoration

Checked out some touristy things Saturday and stood out like a sore thumb... a pasty sore thumb. Jasmine and I went to Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum and the War Museum. There were some unexpected experiences at each:



The Ho Chin Minh Mausoleum is completely dedicated to Vietnam's most beloved national hero (his mummified body is inside). Perhaps it was a mistake to go on a Saturday because it was outrageously busy, the line up to get into the mausoleum was slow moving and at least 1 km long, if not longer. Since “Uncle Ho” is so respected, there are many rules for entering the mausoleum: no tank tops, shorts, cameras, hats, hands can't go in pockets and a generally respectful demeanour is required. Jasmine and I were a second favourite attraction Saturday in all our pale glory to the children. We felt a little like celebrities with all the pictures that were taken of us. Everywhere we went the children waved and proudly said the one English word they knew, “hello”.



The war museum had an older crowd that more subtly noticed us, and thankfully refrained from photography (its cute when kids do it, not so much when adults do it). I must admit it was a little odd being there because it was dedicated to the American War (as opposed to the Vietnam War). The only explanation I can give for how it felt to be there is if you appeared to be of German ancestry and you visited an old concentration camp with mainly Jews around.

In the same way that North Americans have an arbitrary adoration for European accents, Asians seem to admire pale skin. I say arbitrary because there's really no reason for the admiration (in either case) other than its contrast with the local norm. At least with accents, anonymity is attainable via silence. Here there's no hope of unexamined public life, one's sole consolation is to hope the discomfort associated with constant observation diminishes with time.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very effective way of letting everyone know what is going on. You have quite a talent for painting a verbal picture. The photo's are also great. Seeing there are two of you why not post a picture with you in it. Everything sounds interesting so far.
    Love you
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am re-living my China experience through you right now. "hello" !!!! haha, even adults did it in china though ... so funny.

    They do love the pale skin over there. You will probably find that most skin care products over there are "skin whitening" so hopefully you brought with you lots of your own stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, an hour ago I asked an older gentleman and (perhaps) his son for directions, they had limited English (and I have limited Vietnamese) however I got the general idea. As I walked away I swear I heard the younger guy say "I love you"! Not only is that CREEPY, how does he know "I love you" but not "left" and "right"?

    Skin whitening products is no odder than tanning lotion and tanning beds really... but I certainly don't need any help being white so I'll avoid those products... if I could read them haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're a good writer Miss. Amanda!! Great post!! You're now getting an experience as to what it's like to be a "minority"...even though the "white people" don't stop and take pics of minorities around here in Canada, we take "mental pics" - along with that comes judgments, assumptions, whatever (just like everywhere else). It's good to have the experience of another perspective.

    Interesting quick story: when Rémi & Yvon were babies, I was on the porch with them when an asian lady walked by, stopped dead in her tracks and asked if both these boys were mine. I said "yes" and she said, "you're SOO lucky"! Her version of "lucky" was certainly different than MY verstion of "lucky".

    Perspectives. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I've wondered for a long time now what it would feel like to be a minority, and I still don't think I have a full appreciation of it yet. At least my exposure has been positive thus far, uncomfortable but positive. Being Sikh or Muslim at an airport, for example, and being automatically deemed an extremist would be a negative minority experience. My heart always goes out to them, it must be a very uncomfortable experience. So me complaining about being told "I love you" by random asian men doesn't really compare to other minority experiences.

    As you probably know, there is a one child per family law in China, and since children are their parents' retirement fund (and presumably sons can earn more than daughters), parents pray for sons in China. There are actually female genocide issues in China that are quite disturbing. So you having two sons would be a double blessing in a Chinese woman's eyes... double retirement fund... although I'm sure they're just big money suckers at the moment haha.

    ReplyDelete